Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Welcome to Elementary, My Dear Artists

Hello and welcome to my art education blog! My name is Ms. Spero and I am thrilled to share some lessons, activities, and resources with other teachers. Before I begin, though, let's get a few things out of the way:

Why start a blog?
Art is an incredible subject to teach. It is layered, varied, and incorporates multiple disciplines within it. Art is also less formally regimented than the core academic subjects, which means that art teachers (and music and phys ed as well) have a bit more creative freedom in how they approach their curriculum. Due to this flexibility art teachers have been known to come up with all sorts of wonderful, unique lesson ideas, and blogging is a great way to share those ideas. When I first began teaching I remember using the resources on these blogs to help get me started. I hope to do just that with upcoming educators.


I also have been looking for a way to show parents in my district what their children have been working on as the school year progresses, and this feels like a great way to achieve that. I teach Pre-K - 4th grade and have many talented, hard working students. I know this will be some extra work but it will SO be worth it! they make artwork that is creative and inspired. I want to highlight their efforts!

What makes this art ed blog different?
Art is all about originality, and here you'll find art projects and resources that are just that. Over the years I've made up some lessons that have been a lot of fun for students and taught concepts in unique, interesting ways. My projects tend to be student led and interdisciplinary, and I'm always encouraging students to think harder and dig deeper when faced with a problem to solve.

What's with the name?
I was trying to think of something cute with the name. Keyword is trying.

That's all for now! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment